Tuesday, March 10, 2009

report cards and other learning

last night we got to make up the conferences with Timothy and Emma's teachers.

both kids had great reports from their teachers.
Emma's went pretty much exactly as predicted. Tim and I were talking about how she is so eager to learn everything and is so good at reading already that we figured that her teacher was going to focus on those points and she did. she said that although she did poorly on her reading aptitude test she is infact reading at a higher level than the computer calculated. this is because Emma is very determined to get every word right and when she would get stuck on a word it would take her longer than the timed test allowed for and so her score was low. apparently at the end of the test Emma was mad at the computer. :)
But that aside she pretty much excells at everything she tries and actually likes if something is challenging. Just what I love to hear.


Timothy's conference was great as well. it was shorter but it was really good. he is getting his work done. his behavior is excellent. the only things he really needs to work hard on is practicing for band class and practicing his spelling which may help his reading a bit.
Tim's report card was all As and Bs. I think that he was very happy, if not a little surprised that his grades were that good. He's a very smart, clever kid who day dreams a little too much, but then when I was his age I did the same - drifted off during class so I can understand some of his challanges.
he's been really good about doing his homework without me nagging at him and as long as he is getting that done he's bound to have a good grade.

I was and am so proud of them.


between conferences we went past the library where they hold a book fair during the conferences. I'm not really sure if it's run as a fund raiser for the school or just to get kids interested in reading.
Tim got a new book. we are still trying to find a genre that he really likes to read. he's just not a huge reader like Erica is or like I would like to be. but he found a book that he thought sounded like it would interest him. we'll see.
Emma got a book that you can write and decorate. so instead of practicing reading she gets to be the author. she has a couple of pages done and has had so much fun with it.
Tim (dad) and I have fun reading it with all the spelling errors. I love when kids are little and try spelling phonetically. They're the best

1 comment:

The Osborne Family said...

That's awesome! Isn't it fun to see how fast they learn?

almost 2 years have gone by

why do I always do this? so many things have happened in the past two years.  I just feel so silly that I haven't kept up on the blog.  ...