Thursday, May 17, 2012

and we're off

here we are in the 16th week of pregnancy and I have to say that it has been the longest 16 weeks since the last time I was pregnant.
apart from getting sick every morning now, and having other tell tale signs of pregnancy, I really haven't been feeling like I'm pregnant - just sick.

but these next several weeks will be kicking it all off.  it's going to be more real to me now.  this Friday we have an OB appointment and at that appointment we are going to be scheduling some tests.  first of all we will be getting our ultrasound test scheduled.  we are both pretty excited about it.  maybe we will find out if baby is a boy or girl.  but we're probably not telling!  ha ha
next we will be setting up my gestational diabetes testing.  I really hope that I pass the 1 hour because that 3 hour is horrible.
in about 2 more months from now I will be getting my rhogam injection.  "what is that?"  you ask.  well I have been blessed with a negative blood type.  because my blood cells are Rh- there is a risk that my body will try to attack/reject the baby and or cause the baby's heart to grow with a defect that may cause death for the baby.   but one shot in the kiester and that is no longer a concern.
after the baby is born they will be blood typed and if by any chance they have a positive blood type then I will require another injection of the same medicine just in case the baby's blood might have mixed with mine during delivery.  that could cause some major issues for me or even potentially kill me as my body would be trying to reject the foreign blood.  interesting how blood works.  you can take my blood type and give it to ANYONE at all and it will have no ill effects until they can be blood typed and given the correct blood type, but if an Rh+ blood were to be injected into my body with my Rh- blood I would reject it and maybe die.
that's a nutshell for you if you've ever wondered why O- is the universal donor blood.

so that's something to look forward to.

hopefully in the next week or so I will finally be feeling the baby kick.  I'm getting really anxious for that.
it is seriously the very best part of pregnancy.  yeah, it hurts when they keep shoving their little feet under your ribs and or kick you as hard as their tiny legs can muster right on top of your bladder and sometimes worse than that, your cervix.  HOLY COW!!!
but it's also the most terrifying thing when you are at the end and you have gone for 6 hours and realize that you haven't felt any baby movement and you are begging them to jab your ribs and other uncomfortable places just so you know they are still alive.
another thing to look forward to.

these next couple of months are going to go streaking by so fast.  then I'll be at the end of my... well, we'll say comfort and I'll be begging for labor to start even if I am an entire month early.

and I mean this all in the least sarcastic way possible.  I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Anita said...

Feeling Lukas move at the beginning always gave me a seasick type of feeling, but once they get bigger, I always love to feel them moving around and trying to figure out what part of their body is poking me. That's something I will miss with not having any more babies.

almost 2 years have gone by

why do I always do this? so many things have happened in the past two years.  I just feel so silly that I haven't kept up on the blog.  ...