Friday, October 1, 2010

MN water torture

Yesterday Tim got home from work and suggested that we should go and see the falls (since they currently have water).
I've may have mentioned before that on their best days my kids are fairly klutzy. and I have mentioned in the past that having my kids near the falls causes me to panic a bit. but even with that nervous disorder of motherhood we went and I had a full blown nervous break down.
last week after all the rain we had in this area there has been severe flooding. (We have been blessed not to have sustained any flood damage to our house. we haven't been affected by the road closures or power outages or water and sewer restrictions)
the Falls have been real busy since the rain.

this is a picture (from the link above) of the falls in August of last year. the water was barely a dribble.
and I was about freaking out on this day.


this is the exact same spot yesterday. you know this equation... kids + water = throw rocks and acorns in water. my mommy imagination was going nuts picturing my kids in mid throw tripping on the air around their feet and plunging head long into the rushing water.
and this is before you reach the bridge.
that's another equally famous equation. kids + bridge = kids climb the rail on the bridge.


I don't have to tell you what I was picturing. ugh! Ronan is still mad at me for screaming at him not to climb up the railing. He says "I was trying to see the water and I couldn't see the water because I'm tiny"
well, that may be, but my fear was enormous.

3 comments:

Birrd said...

I loved going to the falls as a kid and we went there often. I wonder now if my mother had the same anxiety that you do about me and Charles falling in the water. I'm sure I would if I went there now with my kids. Thanks for the pictures of one of my favorite childhood places.

Anita said...

Your fears are completely grounded! Having my kids near ANYTHING that they could fall from scares me to death. Add my fear of water into the equation and I would have been an absolute nutcase at the falls! They are amazing, though, and I loved the comparison pictures of what they are like right now and what they were like last August. Can I borrow them for my blog? My sister sent an email and asked if we'd built an ark yet. She'd heard about the flooding we've been having. She'd love those pictures!

Abby said...

Anita, you can share the pictures on your blog.

every time I go out there I think of an old friend, Tracy. before I was old enough to go out on Wednesday night activities, the youth went out there and Tracy fell over the rail and down one of the cliff faces.
she was fine, for the most part, but that's stuck in my mind forever.

almost 2 years have gone by

why do I always do this? so many things have happened in the past two years.  I just feel so silly that I haven't kept up on the blog.  ...