Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Emma is about to be 9!

in just a couple of days Emma is going to be turning 9 years old.

at the end of last year I noticed that Emma's finger nails were really brittle, grooved and there were purple streaks at the half lunar base of her fingernails. This totally freaked me out because all my college anatomy and med terms classes started flashing before my eyes. this kind of thing usually means liver disease or heart disease, but I made myself take a deep breath and think rationally. vitamin and iron deficiency can cause these symptoms. so we got back in the habit of a vitamin + iron every night with her and the rest of the kids. 9 months of this did not have enough of a result for me to be content with that being the cause so we went to her pediatrician and she wasn't sure what it could be so she consulted with a pediatric dermatologist. she came back with a probable answer and sent us to the dermatologist to confirm. the diagnosis is commonly known as 20 nail dystrophy.

why jabber on about this after mentioning her birthday coming up? well...

Emma wrote a list for Christmas for me a couple of months ago. one of the items on the list was a set of nail polish. I don't know about a set, but I can get you some nail polish. but I thought I would rather she have her nail polish before Christmas so she could have fun with it before she has to go back to the dermatologist in January.

She needs something to keep it in so I made a bag for her.
this is not my original design... if you want to read more about the bag itself, follow this link. :)

1 comment:

Anita said...

She'll love it!

Are her nails doing any better?

almost 2 years have gone by

why do I always do this? so many things have happened in the past two years.  I just feel so silly that I haven't kept up on the blog.  ...