Monday, August 18, 2008

so yummy

I should have taken a picture.

The other day I was trying to figure out what in the world to feed my family that wouldn't push me over the edge from sheer boredom. So I pulled out the cook book that was compiled of recipes from the good old and young ladies (and a very few men) from church. There was a recipe for clam chowder that looked like it might be yummy. So I put the few ingredients that I didn't have on my shopping list all the while thinking that the clams just might make it too expensive to make and so I didn't even have my hopes up. Hooray! They were affordable and so I got a bit excited.

I'm no gourmet, but I'm alright when it comes to cooking. My husband complains because I've made him fat. (What ever, Honey) I have never cooked clam chowder before and in fact have never eaten it before. I've only ever had clams a small handful of times but they've always been tasty.
So I boldly set forth on my culinary journey. I chopped and minced and simmered until it was all done then realized that my kids may turn their noses up at it. But I forced them to try it anyway.
To my amazement they loved it, every one did.

So now I get to have a new favorite recipe to make every once in a while, not because of the expense, but because it is a heart attack waiting to happen. But it was oh so tasty. I ate the leftovers this morning for breakfast because it was that good. Then Erica got off the phone with her friend and asked if there was any left. usually my kids don't think twice about leftovers. If she had asked earlier we could have arm wrestled for it. :)

1 comment:

Birrd said...

I love clam chowder!

When we lived on the Oregon coast, we would dig the clams ourselves. Now THAT was an adventure!

My husband says the secret to really good clam chowder is lots of bacon. I'm trying really hard not to make him fat, but....

almost 2 years have gone by

why do I always do this? so many things have happened in the past two years.  I just feel so silly that I haven't kept up on the blog.  ...