Thursday, August 21, 2008

a life long project

I've crocheted little baby blankets before and they turned out very nice. they were very simple, no fancy designs, and just a little border around them. I had them done in just a few days and so when I started crocheting a blanket for Connor I thought that I would work on it for a couple of weeks and it would be complete. I began by crocheting rows and it didn't work out so I unraveled it and began again. I continued on with crocheting but thought making a very large square might be kind of cool so I started that. It was uneven and looked horrible, so I scrapped that idea.
I thought for a long time about how I was going to keep the 'stitches' the same size because for some reason I wasn't able to do it like I had so easily done before. I figured that I can knit very simply so at least with the needles I could keep it uniform and it should turn out well.

The above picture is the grand total of what I've accomplished with this blanket in a year. I had wanted it to be a Christmas present for him last year but it didn't work. So my hope is to have it completed for Christmas this year. I've only finished about 6 inches but when it is done it will be gigantic and maybe some day, when he is a grown man, he will still be able to use his blanket that I made for him when he was 3.
He'll probably make fun of it.

2 comments:

Birrd said...

Pretty colors! Keep working on it.

Emily is still working on an afghan that was supposed to be a Christmas present for Ted in about 1981. It's bright red-orange. I actually worked on it for a couple of years about 15 years ago but now she has it again. The joke is that it will be ready for his funeral.

Abby said...

hopefully I won't be working on this blanket for 27 years, however the way things are going it just might be a present for him when he turns 30.

almost 2 years have gone by

why do I always do this? so many things have happened in the past two years.  I just feel so silly that I haven't kept up on the blog.  ...