Monday, January 19, 2009

our saturday of woe

kind of the short version
with the weather being so nasty on Friday I decided that it would be a poor idea to go shopping with the weather that bad, so we stayed home on Friday and I let Tim sleep until he woke up after 3:00... I figured he had the right. it was going to be the last time he would get to sleep like that.
Saturday rolled around and children being what they are (ravenous monsters) had gone through all of the milk we had in the house and I needed a couple of things to fix supper as well. Tim and I were going to run quickly to the little store across our highway (only a two block distance from us) and because of the wind that had been blowing all day long mingled with the fact that our town didn't plow our road, there was an enormous drift across our street. our neighbor has a very big truck and he had gone through before and we had hoped that we could stay in his tracks and make it through.

we got stuck.

we did manage to get backed up and Tim tried shoveling the drift enough for us to get out, but he froze his lungs for naught and we were stuck for good.
I had tried some pushing while Tim tried driving through and I tried some shoveling and deicer and I then hurt my wrist ~ not a break... more like a sprain ~ so I have had to do things gingerly with it.
I'm sure Tim wondered what the heck I was doing since I didn't tell him I where I was going until I got back, but I turned around and knocked on our neighbor's door. He and his son have lived next door since the first week in September and we never have introduced ourselves. I am ashamed to say (but will admit) that I'm a poor neighbor.
I figured that with us stuck in the middle of the road he wouldn't be able to leave and his son wouldn't be able to come home, so I asked if he could nudge us out with his great big truck. He happily came and helped us. We were freed after about an hour and a half after we left for the store.

Sunday we stayed home. Tim was still not feeling up to par with his lungs and my wrist hurt and I was feeling vexed and we were cold.

after all of that I have decided that I need to be a better neighbor.

No comments:

almost 2 years have gone by

why do I always do this? so many things have happened in the past two years.  I just feel so silly that I haven't kept up on the blog.  ...